Miso Ramen *easy recipe
One of my favourite foods in Japan is a nice hot Ramen.
For when you are a Little peckish, or an easy Lunch with a friend, While travellling in Japan, I always visit a local ramen shop.
Many cities have their own original local Ramen speciality.
Soups, noodles types, Topping ….Ramens are available in various forms.
The basic flavour of this particular miso Ramen , made without the usual meat stock ,comes from the fermentation of the Kimchi.This provides a natural sources of Umami and a spicy hot taste which compliments the flavour of miso.
Its easy and much quicker than normal stocks.
The most important point is making this soupe the day before( even 2 days)
That’s allows time for all flavours to come together.
Kimchi gives savoury depth to Ramen broth.
Corn gives a sweetness,
Sesame oil gives a mild flavour.
- Miso ramen broth
- ・80g Kimchi
- ・1cup of sweet corn
- ・1Tbsp of soy sauce
- ・1Tbsp of sesame oil
- ・1Tbsp of White miso paste
- Ramen noodle
- ・200g “00”type flour
- ・100ml warm water
- ・2g sea salt
- ・2g bicarbonate soda
- ・corn starch
- ・spring onion
- ・red chilli
- Tofu crumbles
- ・200g tofu
- ・3 Tbsp soy texture
- ・3 Tbsp miso ramen broth
- Cut the kimchi into small pieces. Heat the water, and simmer with kimchi and sweet corn.
If you like spicy, you could add more kimchi.
- When the soup is heated through, turn off the heat and add the Miso paste.
- Rest in the fridge over night to allow all the flavours to come out.
- Next day gently heat the stock, (If you need to ajust the saltiness as
all kimchi have different levels of saltiness
Ramen Noodle from scratch
- Dissolve the soda and the salt in 100ml of warm water.
- Gradually add the water into the 200g of Type 00 flour.
- The mixture will form a rough ball after 5 min of kneading.
Let stand for about 30 min in fridge.
- On a floured surface, roll one half of the dough into a thin sheet, about 2mm thick
Flour the surface of the sheet thoroughly, flip over, and thoroughly flour the other side.
Once floured, fold the dough into 4 layers. Slice the noodles with a sharp knife about 0.5mm
Ramen topping crumble tofu
- Crush the tofu with fingers roughly,
Place in a frying-pan without oil, dry out with low heat.
- Add textured soy, Drizzle some of the miso ramen soup over the top (about 100ml )
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil.
Assembling the Ramen
- Bring a pot of water to boil for the noodles.
- Cook the noodles in boiling water for about 2 min.
- Place the White miso, the Red miso, sesame oil, white wine vinegar and the relish in a bowl.
- Mix well, and add to the Broth.
- Place the cooked noodle into the same bowl,
Place your topping on to noodles.